Monday, March 26, 2007

Redeemer Lutheran Church

Following my visit to Austin City Church, I made a point to look more into the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod. That led me this week to Redeemer Lutheran Church. They have five worship services per week (which is nice for the working commuter). I attended the 10:45 a.m. one, which is identified as the Praise Worship Service (Contemporary/Christian Music). They also have a traditional liturgical service and a blended worship service. Communion is offered every other week at alternating services. This week Communion was not offered, which was okay with me as the LCMS typically practices closed communion.

If you check out their website, you will see that this church is very involved in many ministries. They have small groups that meet, bible studies for various topics as well as for various age groups, programs reaching out to those who are elderly and homebound, conferences, retreats, mission trips, etc. They also do work with people with mental retardation, the homeless, etc. They consider themselves a "missional people." The definition is, "A missional person is a living demonstration of Jesus and His love in their own situation and place." They invite people to share their missional stories.

As I entered the building, I saw a welcome center for visitors to get more information about the church, the Lutheran tradition, etc. There were quite a few people standing around, talking, etc. that were coming out of the previous service. Additionally, quite a few more were entering the sanctuary for the service coming up. This is a fairly large church. Although the number of baptized members rarely means anything, the average attendance is a meaningful number. Their average church attendance is 1300. The sanctuary is beautiful, with stained-glass windows and the altar surrounded by the people on three sides (with the musicians and singers in the back). It kind of has a "theater in the round" feeling to it. There is a cross hanging prominently above the altar area as well.

Although the impression you may get is the Praise Worship Service would not be liturgical, it does follow a liturgical order. I was also blessed to see a baptism this week. The baby was the cutest little girl and she was very good - no screaming or crying during the baptism! We recited the Apostles' Creed. They use the term "holy Christian church" rather than "holy Catholic church." I pondered that for a minute and wondered if that was necessary since most people know that "holy Catholic church" is not a reference to the "Roman Catholic Church" but to the full Body of Christ. However, there is something that feels a bit more inclusive about it. I guess it includes my non-catholic Baptist friends as well!

The focus of the service was "friendship." There was a children's message revolving around friendship as well as a singing of "What a Friend We Have in Jesus." Boy, that old hymn brings back some memories! The singing was congregational and the music was very good (how many times am I going to say that on this journey?). Everyone really seemed to be happy to be at church and their praise of God showed that. The minister was very engaging. He has a very down-to-earth, almost goofy-in-a-charming-sort of way delivery that is sincere and heartfelt. You can't help but be drawn to his words as he preaches. He emphasized how Jesus told the disciples (and by extension, has told us), "No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I heard from My Father I have made known to you." The closing song was one that I first heard when visiting Riverbend Church. It's entitled "Wonderful Cross" and uses parts of "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross" as well as a contemporary theme. I'm sure there's a musical description of that technique, but you get the picture. It's a beautiful song and was a great one to end with.

The people are friendly, the worship was relaxed and reverent (but not in a boring way), the message was meaningful, and the focus of the church is on the Cross of Christ. I usually have a particular experience at a church and try to characterize it or boil it down to a word or two. I may feel blessed, at peace, energized, relaxed, excited, challenged, or any number of different things while on this journey. The one thing that hit me about Redeemer Lutheran Church is I felt like I had come home. The place just felt like home. I was glad to be there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats awesome...I got so attached to the Lutheran church as I was reading ur post...will surely try visiting it now..thanks a lot for posting such a holy experience...if u want to check out something on friendship...u can have a look at my blog for the same :) have a good day!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the write-up this week. I really enjoy reading your writing.

Could I suggest four other prominent Austin evangelical congregations you might want to visit?

Hope Chapel (http://www.hope.org)
First Evangelical Free Church(http://www.fefc.org)
Hope in the City (http://www.hopeinthecity.org/)
Austin Stone Church (http://www.austinstone.org/)