Saturday, February 24, 2007

Church of the Holy Trinity

For Ash Wednesday, I chose to attend Church of the Holy Trinity, my second trip to a church who is part of The Episcopal Church. The service is intentionally low key and is intended to direct us to Lent, the period of time in which Christians are to spend their time in self-examination and sacrifice. The church is designed like a small chapel, giving it a really intimate feel when you enter. Not only is it cozy, but the people there are very warm and intimate as well. In thinking about it, the best comparison I can come up with is (sadly enough) that of a pub. If you have ever been to The Draught House in Austin, you'll get it immediately. It is a local pub that has all the feel of "where everybody knows your name" to it as the neighborhood people gather there, sometimes with pets, sometimes with friends, to hang out. Holy Trinity has much of the same feel. For example, during the exchange of the peace, everyone hugged, greeted each other by name, etc. and appeared on truly friendly and intimate terms with one another. It was obvious we were visitors and people introduced themselves and recognized that fact.

The church was dimly lit for much of the service (as I said, it was intentionally low key for Ash Wednesday) and this really was a good opportunity to slow down, put aside the hectic day and just focus on prayer and worship. The people there sing beautifully. My experience has usually been that about 25-30% of the people in a congregation actually sing out. The others usually just listen or mumble. This church fully sang. I'm willing to bet that at least 90% of the people were singing. Their voices filled the place, including one song that was sung in men's and women's parts which was just wonderful to listen to. Music was led by a lone guitarist and that was really all that was needed. Some of the music was a style I often refer to as 70s campfire music. Not in the cheesy way, but in that praise hymn type, with repeats of a chorus or line in the song. This fits well in churches which use a liturgy that has responsive readings because it seems very natural to have responsive music of this type. After the imposition of the ashes, we had a regular worship service, with communion being served.

This entry is shorter than many of my entries, but I think part of that is a reflection of the fact Ash Wednesday is really about self-examination. I think Holy Trinity helped me to do some of that as I felt I was more focused on myself rather than on their service. The brevity of the post, however, should not take away from the service itself. As with most Episcopal services, it was very well done and this was a really a good place to be.

Sometimes when traveling, I like to drop in a local pub or bar and watch a game that's on. Usually, I'll find other fans of my team and we'll have a little 2 or 3 hour bonding experience during the game. I'll return back to my room and, for that time, realize I wasn't missing being home because I found a place to belong for a bit. That was the feeling I had at Holy Trinity. While traveling along this journey, I found a neat little place where a group of friends gather at their neighborhood church to worship and enjoy fellowship together. I got to stop and have that experience with them and, just for a bit, felt right at home.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a member at Holy Trinity, I wanted to thank you for your comments and evaluation. They are most certainly fair and accurate. You captured the mood well in your short post.

I did want to add that we certainly don't mind being compared to a pub. In England the Public House and the Parish are the two prime meeting places in each village and it shouldn't be a surprise that the two resemble each other - with much singing, community, and celebration. (That and like other Anglican churches, we don't regard drinking as a sin but instead a form of celebration; only when one imbibes beyond the state of mirth and into a state drunkenness would we condemn it. (Note: Do not operate heavy machinery or automobiles from the "state of mirth".))

I am humbled by many things at Holy Trinity, but one of them is most certainly the depth of musical and artistic talent - we have a very deep bench in that area and I'm glad that it shows.

Bryan Brown, the lone guitarist you mention is our new music minister and we are in the process of rediscovering our musical language, so the "70s Campfire Music" should be supplanted by a more eclectic selection ranging from the classic English hymns (led from the guitar) to some of the most recent Praise and Worship, maybe even some additional Celtic influences.

In Christ,
Stephen

Anonymous said...

Our first visit to Holy Trinity was the same service you attended, Ash Wednesday. We have elected to move from Mesa Community Church to Holy Trinity. We found our home here at Holy Trinity immediately. Even though Holy Trinity would be classified and "low church," it has a sence of reverence I had been missing.

I would encourage you to visit Holy Trinity again on a Sunday to further your experience of Holy Trinity.

God is at work in the Angican Communion. The revival that is coming will be through the Anglican church.

Anonymous said...

For anyone who is looking for Holy Trinity, I see that it recently went through a difficult split (into Chirst Church Anglican) so you may need to look two places for these people.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!