Monday, March 12, 2007

Penning for Jesus Cowboy Church

Charismatic churches should carry warning labels. I decided that yesterday when I visited the Penning for Jesus Cowboy Church. It's not that I have a problem with people who choose to practice speaking in tongues. It's just that it's something I've never done. It's also something I have not really been around. Wandering into a church with the expectation it's going to look a lot like the little country Baptist church you grew up in and not realizing until they've started that it's charismatic can really catch you off guard. But, I'm getting ahead of myself, so let me back up and tell you about the Cowboy Church.

Driving out on the farm road to the church, I got stuck behind a slow moving tractor hauling hay. This gave me some time to take in the countryside and enjoy the life Spring is breathing into Central Texas right now. The church is located outside of Bastrop, back among the trees. Entering the church, there was quite a bit of chatter and talk going on. Country-style gospel music was playing over a P.A. system. The people were very, very friendly and pleasant. Quite a few of them approached me, introduced themselves, etc. A dog also attended the service. I actually sat by him and he was just as friendly as the rest of the bunch! The services are held in a pavilion-type of building, with windows all around, which makes sitting there among the trees, quite pleasant. These windows were designed like garage doors and I'm assuming they can be opened, which would then give you an open air pavilion. The altar is made of bails of hay, with blankets over them.

The music was your standard praise music, with a group up front leading the singing. Surprisingly, it wasn't gospel or country. It was enjoyable and the people really got into the singing. These were your typical country people, cowboy hats, wrangler jeans, etc. Again, some of the friendliest people you will ever meet. Between songs, not only were there shouts of "Amen!" but there was quite a bit of what I would call whooping and hollering. By the way, if you aren't from Texas, that's pronounced "hoopin' and hollerin'." I found the service to be quite enjoyable and the people to be truly excited about being there. The lady leading the singing then sang a solo song (growing up, we always called "the special") - Daddy's Hands by Holly Dunn. By the end of the song, most of the people were either singing or mouthing the words.

The minister today was a visiting evangelist, Phillip Baker. I would have loved to have heard the pastor as he spoke a little before the sermon and he seemed like a good 'ole country fatherly type, watching over the congregation entrusted to him. Phillip opened up by sharing some tapes that were available for purchase in the back, related to healing ministries and finding your place with God. I was ready to be turned off instantly at this "pitch" but he then quickly said he didn't come here to talk about tapes and launched into a brief talk about his experiences as an evangelist and then into the sermon. I decided later that it was actually very tactful and there was absolutely no pressure on people to purchase anything.

Phillip announced that wherever he goes, supernatural things happen. He has seen it throughout his ministry. He said supernatural things were going to happen at the Cowboy Church if the people wanted them to. He then gave a very interesting sermon from the Book of John related to the disciples. He compared their various reactions to Jesus announcing one would betray Him to various people found in churches today - and ultimately various churches found in society today. The main thrust of his sermon was that a worshipping church is a church that will be blessed by God. I really enjoyed his sermon. He has a "down home country style" and his points were good ones - not just fluff. He started preaching at about 11:35 or 11:40.

What happened next is where I think that warning label would've been helpful. At the end of his sermon, he talked about how the altar no longer represents worship in modern churches and how the only people that come to the altar are usually those in trouble or with problems. He said all needed to come to the altar and worship. He demonstrated how standing in the pew, checking your watch, is how many "worship" now and that this isn't falling before God and worshipping Him. Worship needs to involve doing something physically. He then invited people to the altar, whether or not they were troubled, to worship. I didn't go up. I didn't feel moved to do so. However, most of the congregation did. He then directed them to raise their hands and really worship God. He stated he was going to take a moment and do so himself. He then started speaking in tongues. He encouraged others to pray in their "prayer language." Sorry, folks, my prayer language is mere English - however, I did pray. He continued to tell people that to be a worshipping church ALL needed to come to the altar. He called on men to come forward, etc. Well, now the entire church is up there, raising hands, calling out to Jesus, speaking in tongues and laying hands on one another.

All, but one...me.

I'm three-quarters of the way back, sitting in my pew, feeling very conspicuous. I did lean forward, with my head down, in a prayerful manner, so as to not be disrespectful, but there is something about being the "lone hold out" when the preacher is saying for the church to be a truly worshipping church everyone needs to come down that makes you cringe. This continued on and on. People were speaking in tongues, the preacher was announcing someone with a heart condition had just been healed, someone with arthritis had just been healed, etc. I quickly checked my watch and it was moving past 12:40. I didn't mind being there for a lengthy time, but there I am, the guy in the back. The guy who isn't filled with the spirit.

I take that back. I wasn't totally alone. The dog was with me. His owners were up front, but I guess he wasn't filled with the spirit either because he laying there, looking up at me while I looked back at him.

Periodically, the preacher would look my way and I just knew he was going to call out to me and say I have lack of faith or something like that. (By the way, he didn't really look threatening or anything, it was my anxiety at being in this situation that created that thought). At about 12:55, the preacher called for ushers to come over and he then started to put his hands on people's foreheads (Benny Hinn style) and knocking them backwards (the ushers would catch them). When the first person hit the floor, I hit the back door. I decided that (1) this was too weird for me, (2) I was a distraction at this point and (3) if someone came back there and laid hands on me or tried to help me get the Holy Ghost, I would freak out. The last thing I wanted to do was offend anyone as I was their visitor.

I have no idea how long the service continued. I have no idea how many people were healed, blessed, etc. I have no idea if I offended anyone by sitting there in the back until finally walking out when they were in the most meaningful portion of their service. I do know this. We all have a comfort level when it comes to theology and worship. This one was outside of my level of comfort. I say this because I feel I would be remiss in not warning people who aren't used to charismatic services that there are times where you really don't know what to do, but hope you don't embarrass yourself or anyone else in a service. On the other hand, if this is your style of worship and fits your theology, you won't be disappointed among these friendly, warm people. They are as sweet and welcoming as you will find anywhere.

6 comments:

Mike Prince said...

Great story! I would like to see the video of that one!

Anonymous said...

I would love it if you visited this church again when they didn't have a visiting pastor, as I'd like to know if the tongue speaking is the norm there. Loved the info about the dog. It reminded me of a recent story about a turkey that hunt out at a church in Michigan (http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/0314turkey-church-CR.html).

Anonymous said...

We visited this church this past Sunday and agree that the people are super friendly and warm. My husband prefers old-style country songs instead of praise and worship style. But then, he is more comfortable with the cowboy style. The pastor gave a really wonderful sermon and we enjoyed the message immensely. They did have a free style communion where people came up and partook by serving themselves communion which was already set up on the altar. Again, we really enjoyed this church. However, there were several who came up front and the pastor "laid hands" on one and prayed with him. The next thing we saw was a woman who laid on the floor, I am assuming in charismatic "wonder". For us Methodist/Baptists we were surprised since nothing else during the service hinted at being a charismatic church. While we believe that with God all things are possible, we are not comfortable with the charismatic style of worship and we intend to visit other churches as well. Please note that if you are a charismatic worshiper this is a wonderful group of people and I would suggest you at least check them out.

amy said...

I've read this post several times, Scott. And, I mean no disrespect, but this is one of the funniest stories I've ever read; you are a great writer! I can picture a little hound dog, just sitting by you, tongue lolling and then wondering why you hit the door. LOL

anyway, keep up the great work; I really admire what you're doing.

Anonymous said...

This was a great story. I had a friend who was playing music and singing out there (maybe leading the worship) when he suddenly passed away. That must have been really hard on the congregation. I am used to charismatic services but can be made to feel uncomfortable when things gets too weird. As far as laying hands on the sick and people falling back on the floor, they all claim to not be pushed but fall out in the spirit. It actually happened to me once and I was trying not to fall.
Anyway, sounds like a lot of nice, friendly people who love worshipping the Lord out there.
Thanks for your article.

Unknown said...

just found your blog today after following articles I was reading about David Gentiles passing and then Imperfect Faith Community and then you. Love it. Always wanted to visit a Cowboy Church but this would be out of my comfort zone, also. Keep going where I don't have the guts to go....