Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Gateway Church

Gateway Church is a member of the Willow Creek Association. This is a large association of churches (in Austin alone, there are 29), who call themselves action-oriented churches. They are known (I'm sure this varies among the churches) for their well-planned, strategic visions and for their efforts to reached the unchurched. Many times they are labeled as "seeker-sensitive" and the focus of their services is to bring in those who wouldn't ordinarily be comfortable in a typical church setting. In fact, I didn't realize until I was researching the Willow Creek Association for this blog entry that Riverbend Church is also a member. I'm not surprised, however, as Riverbend also has a focus on reaching the unchurched. You can read about my visit there at this link. As a side note, I have also seen Gateway Church listed as Gateway Community Church. I am guessing they have changed or shortened their name.

Upon arriving at Gateway Church, it's good to follow the signs that lead you to the parking lot. I parked in an area that I thought was up front (because it was very close to the entrance), but I ended up having to walk around to the back of the building to get to the entrance. It wasn't a long walk or anything, but I could've saved myself a few steps by paying attention. I decided to attend the 12:30 service (there are three on Sunday) because, quite frankly, it's nice to be able to sleep in and still make it to the morning service. There is a courtyard area where quite a few people had gathered and were talking. Upon entering the auditorium, it really feels more like a movie theater. There are large screens up front with a stage and stadium seating (with cup holders). People dress comfortably. I saw everything from your typical "church clothes" to people in jeans and even shorts. The atmosphere is very relaxed. On stage, there were band instruments and also some props that emphasized the theme of the sermon series, which was money. In fact, prior to the service starting, there was an old educational video about currency (the kind you used to see in school) running. It was interesting noting the preparation for the theme.

The music was very good. The band played contemporary Christian music. I'm starting to think you have to work really hard to find bad music at a church in Austin. This city is so full of musicians! After a few songs, announcements were made, the offering was taken up (with Seven Nation Army playing during that time - first time I've ever heard that song in a church service!). Strangely enough, I did a little research and found out the Seven Nation Army is what the writer of the song used to call the Salvation Army when he was a little kid. Who would've thought that song had anything to do with Christianity? You learn something new everyday!

The sermon was the fourth in a series on money. The series was called Ka-Ching-Onomics. Before I go into that, let me mention that during the taking up of the offering, there was a video with two guys talking about churches trying to get money out of people. It was pretty humorous, but also interesting. The point of the interaction was basically that one didn't have to feel obligated to give money if they didn't want. The pastor at Gateway, John Burke, delivered the sermon. John comes out in jeans (at least I seem to remember jeans - if not, maybe I put that in my head) and a simple shirt. He is very relaxed and personable. Listening to him talk is like sitting across the table at lunch and chit-chatting.

The entire sermon, which was about 35-40 minutes, was based on tithing. John said up front that some people may be offended at this teaching and he made it clear it was not his goal to get people to give out of guilt. From what I could tell, the entire series seemed to revolve around not letting your life be controlled by money and to have your priorities in order. John said people tithe for 4 reasons (with each reason being a "higher reason" than the previous). Guilt is the bottom motivator (and shouldn't be an appropriate reason to tithe). Second was to fill a need. People see a need and want to help out. Third was out of spiritual obedience. Last, and what John said it was his goal for people to give for, was love. Love for God. That was the basic sermon. Since the service was mostly preaching, I'll comment on the impression I got from his sermon.

First, I thought it was a gutsy sermon. For a church that has a reputation for being "seeker sensitive," John didn't pull any punches when preaching on one of the most difficult topics one can preach on. There is no doubt this sermon offended some. However, he felt God led him to preach it and he did. Second, John talked about his experience growing up and seeing television evangelists rise and fall and the corruption that was associated with them. He assured the congregation that Gateway has an "open book" policy and that anyone who wants to know where every penny goes is free to ask. He then talked about all the many ministries and activities going on at Gateway and laid out what percentage of money brought in goes to what ministry. Third, he issued a challenge. He challenged people to try tithing for three months. He said he was sure they would be blessed. He made a point to say, "This isn't God lotto." However, he believes God has promised to take care of those who tithe. He also said that if you try it and something disastrous happens, come to the church and they will bail you out! He also said if you weren't comfortable with Gateway or didn't trust them, tithe elsewhere. Give to another church you do trust. Last, John made it clear that visitors didn't need to feel obligated in any way to give. He recognized there are seekers among them and he felt it was more important they have an opportunity to learn about God.

In some ways, I felt like I had entered a private conversation between a pastor and his people. Listening him talk about all the many, many things Gateway was trying to accomplish was inspiring. I didn't get the impression he was bragging - in fact, he continued to tell the people, "This isn't mine. This is what you've done and are doing!" Listening and watching this unfold, looking at the bulletin given to me when I walked in and seeing all the activities going, I couldn't help but feel that being a part of this church is truly being a part of something bigger than yourself. I can't stress "action oriented" enough. They are doing something, not talking about it. They are moving forward, not making excuses. They believe in relationships and cultural relevance, not individuality and irrelevance. They are making an impact in people's lives through their many ministries, groups, teachings, and opportunities for service. If you want to be part of something big, this is a great place to dive in.

Stay tuned! As I said, I took in a second service this weekend at Austin City Church. I'll be posting about it very soon.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the great review of Gateway. I have never attended the church, but I do know some people who are members there and who truly try to live Christ centered lives. I think Gateway, Lake Hills, Fellowship, and others like them are great places to get involved and make a difference in the lives of those who are far from Christ. In part this is for a very practical reason. The long time un-churched crowd will actually show up and attend a service at Gateway when they might be less comfortable doing so in a place with higher barriers to entry.

Anonymous said...

We attended Gateway Church a few months ago. I was immediately turned off by the sheer size of it. It’s a nice looking campus. But I felt like I was at a Wal-Mart versus a church. The first thing that struck me as odd was there weren’t any crosses to be found. Now, it is a big place, and perhaps I missed it. Two, I thought the theater-like seating complete with cup-holders was a little over the top. Are we here to worship with 3,000 or our closest friends or watch the latest Pixar flick?

I acknowledge looks can be deceiving, so I kept an open mind and had a seat. (Speaking of seats… I’m 6’ 5”. The average height for a member of a mega church has got to be 5’ 3” because I never fit in their seats!). The pastor’s sermon was entertaining, even funny at times. But I didn’t leave there feeling touched, moved, or fulfilled. Rather than distribute Bibles and hymnals, everything is up on their jumbotron screen. I don’t know what translation of the Bible they’re using, but I’m have a hunch it’s the dumbed down stoners’ version. “Dude, I like totally gave you $1,000 man and you like, bury in the ground. That’s so bogus!” Okay, the translation wasn’t THAT bad. But I could easily have pictures Bill & Ted reading it.

This is going to sound very cynical and I may get hate mail over it. I personally think American society is spiritually bankrupt. We’re self-absorbed, in-debt, petty, and materialistic. So we grasp onto anything to make us feel better. But Christianity is a hard message. How can we care for the poor and be good stewards of what God gave us when the mortgage company has called twice this week and the Suburban needs new tires? Some churches entertain, give a little fluff, and ask little from their congregation. We sit in the stadium seating for an hour each Sunday and try to forget it the remaining 167 hours of the week.

I’m being somewhat facetious and I’m not saying everyone at Gateway is like this. In fact I have a friend who attends a large church in Cedar Park and they really push families to get their priorities straight and give a very practical message. But I don’t know what their spiritual message is since I’ve never attended.

I like this blog because I too am looking. Politically I’m slightly right of center (some might say a “classical liberal”, free markets, free minds) but religiously I believe Jesus was more like Gandhi than, say, Ted Haggart. Mainstream churches like the UMC and PCUSA appeal to me, but so do smaller UCC churches. Maybe I’m looking for the perfect match when the perfect match only exists in my mind.

Anonymous said...

I would like to comment on the anonymous comment.

Yes, I can see churches like Gateway being very effective in reaching the un-churched. It's just ordinary people talking common sense stuff in language everyone can understand. It's very relaxed and unobtrusive.

But right now in my life, I need more than that is all. I really don't mean to criticize Gateway. It just isn't right for me. It may be perfect for the next guy.

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea for a blog, and a great stimulus for conversation. If you're interested in a worship service that goes in the opposite direction of the media-savvy, technologically fancy, rock'n'roll of the modern megachurch, I'd invite you to check out the Church of Conscious Harmony. It is a contemplative Christian church, based largely on the practice of Centering Prayer, a form of Christian meditation taught by Trappist monk Father Thomas Keating.

The website is:

www.consciousharmony.org

Scott said...

Two brief comments. First, about Gateway. I think you are correct in that the service can be a turnoff for someone looking for a moving, spiritual service. It's more the practical, action-oriented type. On the other hand, I think they are open about this and encourage people to involve themselves in the groups, meetings and other activities there for that deeper commitment to Christ. As far as the worship service, it is what it is and I believe that's their intent. I would love to hear from someone at Gateway on what it's like to be "more involved" than just the Sunday service.

Regarding Church of Conscious Harmony...you'll note to the right of the blog, I have them tagged for a future visit. I actually already had them on there, but thanks for the suggestion. It reaffirms I want to get out and see what they are about.

Scott said...

One more thing to John...“Dude, I like totally gave you $1,000 man and you like, bury in the ground. That’s so bogus!”

That was funny! LOL

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this. I'll throw some personal experience into the discussion.

I've been going to Gateway for 3.5 years. I'd call myself still growing in Christ, but definitely more seasoned than a seeker.

My wife and I had been searching for a good church in Austin at least a year when we went to Gateway initially. Ironically, money and politics were our two hot button issues that turned us off from churches in the past. That first day we showed up to Gateway, they handed out envelopes right before the offering. Right as the service began, John asked everyone to open their envelopes and look inside. I did, and there was a $50 bill inside. My wife had a $20 bill. We were dumbfounded to say the least. John, probably enjoying the shocked look of the congregation, explained that the church tithes as well, and this month they felt led to tithe back to the congregation. The only hitch was we couldn't spend it on ourselves or give it back to the church. We had to be creative with our giving. We thought it was a really neat idea, and that any church willing to tithe back to the congregation was probably not money focused.

Over the next few months, we had a lot of "he was preaching directly to me" moments. I really enjoyed John's rational approach, while my wife enjoyed Assistant Pastor Ted Beasley's more emotional, personal approach.

Not long after, we joined a small group, which the church really emphasises as the place for true spiritual growth. Showing up for a message on Sunday and singing a few songs is nice, but it doesn't keep you accountable.

Eventually we also both did a lot of volunteer work for the church.

We really enjoy the seeker friendless of the church, especially since it is Austin. The need is especially apparent here. One of the two central mottos of the Church is "Come as you are", which you no doubt guessed by the dress code. The other is "No perfect people allowed", which is a very important message. I think Gateway really wanted to avoid the holier-than-thou image of many churches, while reinforcing the church's need set forth in Mark 2:17.

To be fair, it's not perfect. I miss the old days, when the church was small. OK well, *relatively* small. And most people I've met there are wonderful people, but (like any organization I suppose) there is an air of cliquishness among the staff and seasoned congregation. The pastors are good to avoid this, but it's unfortunately pretty common. John has done several sermons on this, but it doesn't seem to have abated, at least in my personal experience.

All in all, we have grown incredibly since being at Gateway, especially through the small groups. Gateway's unique approach might turn off some, but it has brought a deeper relationship with Christ and meaning to many people's lives.

Anonymous said...

Scott,

I've put a link to your blog on my site, Peace Meme, under the "Austin Links" section. My blog is about the tightrope act I feel I'm walking between faith and politics as I search for peace both internally and externally.

Hope you'll check it out. If you click on my name it will take you to the site.

Anonymous said...

tithing is one of the hardest subjects to talk about. It takes a lot of guts to get up there and tell people that the tithe is commanded. then he told them that they could go to the church if they were in a jam. that's pretty good i think. God will bless those that put faith in him.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad my comments were taken in the spirit that they were given, namely "this church isn't for me". I'm really not one to say one church, religion, belief system is better than another. But some are better suited for me than others.

I have come across the name of The Church of the Conscious Harmony several times, but have never checked it out.

I just read the entry on the Austin City Church. Heading to the pub after worship like C. S. Lewis. That I like. As long as some serious discussion is going on and we're not killing time until the Cowboys game starts. Hmmm...

I forget the exact text they used for the Parable of the Talents. But when they read it, I didn't immediately recognize it as the Bible passage. They used "dollars" instead of "talents". Maybe they didn't use "dude" and "bogus", but it wasn't far off. Anyway, I heard and read it and thought, "Man, that sounds familiar... OH... uh... okay. Interesting way to quote the Bible..."

It might be fun for the readers of this blog to get together one day or evening. I like Central Market Cafe. Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

Fun blog, I don't think I've seen something like this one before.
I love reading about the different styles of churches around town.

I just wanted to post off of Scott's comment asking about what it's like to be more involved beyond Sundays.
My husband is a pastor at Gateway and we both work in ministry together.
The church's style (as you said before) really is to reach out to those that would normally not attend church, but we also want people to move beyond that and grow.
Such as the saying, "Come as you are... but don't stay that way."
Small groups, classes, and involvement are strongly encouraged.
Honestly, no matter what church you're in, you could come and go for years and never grow/change.
Gateway's not perfect, that's true. Though I'm not sure I've ever read the, "Hey dude" version of the Bible. :)
Thanks so much for checking it out. It’s interesting to hear someone else’s thoughts of the church.

Anonymous said...

I realize that the original blog here was over a year ago, but I just felt like leaving a comment. My husband and I attended Gateway for the first time this past Sunday. 2 things I noticed that I thought peculiar. 1...they were playing LOTS of secular music. One song was a Foo Fighters song. Hmmmmm, odd. 2...no alter calls or anything to allow people to accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior.

I was a bit puzzled by these 2 things....especially the first.

Rich said...

Hey, Anonymous-

As a Gateway member, let me respond to your observations.

1. Gateway opens every service with 3 God songs, many written in house. But before the message, Gateway routinely plays secular music, mostly as it relates to the emotional content of the message. Many secular songs capture the guilt, isolation, and hopelessness throughout society. The message then usually has to deal with how God's grace allows us to escape these negative emotions.

2. Gateway is not charismatic, and avoids traditional alter calls. However, as Pastor Rick mentioned, they do have a prayer team at the front at the end of every service to deliver a willing ear and prayers to anyone who needs it.

Anonymous said...

"charismatic, and avoids traditional alter calls"

Does one necessarily imply the other?

Anonymous said...

I have been going to Gateway for awhile and was raised in the mid-west in a very conservative church, where Fire and Brimstone sermons were a regular occurrence followed by altar calls. Perhaps it is a personal thing, but I remember going to the altar on a regular basis out of a feeling of guilt.
Personally, I like having a prayer team at the front much better for me, as one of the ladies at Gateway who prayed with me and my husband could truly relate to what we were going through, and I didn't have the feeling that all eyes were on me.
But, then again, I am just now getting back into going to church after having been burned out for so many years. I feel a church with a laid back atmosphere, where secular music is played is far away from my negative experiences as a youth, and just what I need to repair my relationship with God. But people connect with and praise God in many different ways thus the reason for different churches that fit your particular spiritual needs:)So far Gateway is meeting mine.

Brady said...

A friend turned me on to your site today. When I moved to Austin, I "interviewed" several churches via e-mails to the pastors. I have several friends who attend Gateway, and hear good things, but alas, as a Christ follower who is openly gay, I learned that I would never be considered for any official role beyond attendance there, and that my orientation is considered sinful. I chose one of the other churches you visited, instead because the threshold for seekers like me is a good bit lower.

Anonymous said...

I've been to Gateway twice in the last two weeks. I heard it was "same old same old Willow Creek" but, in contrast, I had a very positive experience, including the member of the prayer team whom I met who prayed for me (I'm unemployed).

-joe

Anonymous said...

It is interesting that someone wants a lower standard as a seeker. Actually, there is no standard to enter into a relationship with Christ. It is you who must accept Him, repent and obey, becoming his disciple. The Bible is clear although many churces have fuzzy, worldy thinking and barriers that discourage one from hearing the simplest message of the gospel. I attend Gateway and generally find it relevant but the message of salvation is not always evident.

Anonymous said...

It is useful to try everything in practise anyway and I like that here it's always possible to find something new. :)