Saturday, January 20, 2007

The Weirdest Church Ever

If you don't watch the American version of The Office, you might want to stop reading this entry now. If you do, you probably want to stop reading anyway. After posting MLK Jr.'s "I have a dream" speech, I had a dream. However, my dream was that I was visiting a little country church (as part of this journey) and Michael Scott was the pastor. When I first came up, he was hiding around the corner of the church, with a fire extinguisher, telling me to watch because he was pulling a prank on the congregation. I went in and Dwight Schrute was greeting people and showing them his tattoos (I think the tattoos came from me watching One Punk Under God on Sundance - a series about Jay Bakker's ministry). Apparently, Dwight was the music minister or youth minister - I'm not quite sure which. Not much else happened in the dream, but I would have to say it was pretty funny. If I ever have a real experience like that one, you'll be the first to know!

I've added a new section to the links over on the right of the blog. It is a list of churches I plan on visiting while on this journey. Thanks for the suggestions I received from a couple of you.

3 comments:

GeoffpShack said...

you have a problem sir. haha. that was pretty funny.. wow. lol.

Anonymous said...

As you visit churches in the Austin Area, I'm certain that you will hear about the Church Under the Bridge. Presently it's located under IH-35 just in front of the police dept. It's organized by Mission Possible, a minstry outreach to Austin's east side residences. This event is designed to minister to the homeless society. It's a ministry originally born out of a member to Grace Covenant church back in the 90's, but it's since been embraced by many of the churches in Austin. Multiple churches have signed up to host a different service each sunday morning. Take the time to visit this service. It will be one of the more humbling experiences that you will have.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Am I glad I found your blog. You might even get me to go to church again. Blessings to you.